I don't know you. But I'm not gonna lie--I'm jealous of you. Standing around chatting in your yoga pants after dropping your children off at school while I scurry back to my mom-van to rush, yet again, to my stress-case of a job. After spending every waking moment of my with-children time rushing to and fro and fro and to and back again, all I want is a stretch of time, uninterrupted by necessities, BY MYSELF. Like you. Standing around in my yoga pants, talking to adults about whatever fanciful, meaningless thing might pop into one's head. And even as I sit writing this, when I am supposed to be writing a report for my stress-case job, I feel guilty for daring to take work-day morning time to vent something for my own mental health.
But I implore you, parents hanging around at drop-off, don't look at me with pity, as the line between my eyebrow deepens with intensifying fret. Because my mom-van takes me places where I can change the world. Not just for myself, but for EVERYONE who lives in it. And though I'm not wearing yoga pants, I'm bending over backwards to incite change in this unfair world; to advocate for the under-dog, stand up for those who cannot stand, and to speak words of love and justice on behalf of those who cannot speak. While you stand around chatting about your next girls' spa weekend, I am creating the future for all of our children, including the ones you just dropped off at school.
So I'm ok with that. Jealous and all.
Now back to work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nicely done! Take heart though, you are not alone:
The labor force participation rate of mothers with children under 18 years of age was 69.9 percent in 2013, 74.7 percent for mothers with children 6-17 years of age, and 63.9 percent for mothers with children under 6 years of age, 61.1 percent for mothers with children under 3 years of age, and 57.3 percent for mother of infants (2013 annual averages).
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/famee.toc.htm (Tables 5 and 6), 2013 annual averages.
The labor force participation rate for single mothers with children under 18 years of age was 74.2% in 2013, and 67.8% for married mothers –spouse present -with children under 18.
Note: Single mothers include never married; married, spouse absent; divorced; separated; and widowed persons.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/famee.toc.htm (Tables 5 and 6), 2013 annual averages.
Post a Comment